Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Updates and costumes

The Duke IRB liked my protocol a lot. Flattery aside, however, they had "a number" (read - "a million") suggestions for ways to improve my consent forms and other documents.

In order to gain the board's approval, I must incorporate their suggested changes into my materials and also prepare a separate consent protocol for the interviewees that are Ark workers/ICARR participants. As the IRB pointed out to me, these people shoulder the most risk by talking to me, so I must take extra precaution to ensure that their interviews are kept confidential.

My other "subjects," such as the ICARR scientists and the local health experts, do not risk unemployment or litigation by talking to me (as the workers potentially do). So I can keep their interviews public and on the record as I had planned, provided I receive their consent of course.

Just another draft or two, and this IRB business will finally be done!
_____________________________

My roommate (on the left) is going to kill me (on the right) if she finds out I am posting this, but I just can't resist:



Ви думаєте, що я справжня українка?
(Do you think that I am a true Ukrainian?)

1 comment:

Bora Zivkovic said...

Wow - you look like a real native already! Good to hear that the committee is happy and helpful for your paperwork - those administrative hoops are usually nightmarish! Looking forward to more dispatches from Ukraine!